Monday, December 17, 2012

12 Days of Freebies

One day down...four more to go! I can definitely see the light now!

As promised, I am delivering you yet another day of Christmas- themed freebies, and this one is definitely my favorite! I adapted my activity from Cara Carroll's super cute measurement activity. If you're interested, you can check our what she did here.

I started with a discussion on non-standard units of measurement. My cuties and I brainstormed a list of items that could be used and discussed when small units would be more helpful instead of big units. Then, I introduced my students to Mr. Gingerbread Man, set out of a few non-standard units (gingerbead flavored and shaped marshmallows, peppermints, and unifix cubes), and sent them off to work!





It was SO wondeful to see their brains tickin' away! For the last non-standard unit, I let each group vote on what they would use. My favorite was using mini-Judy clocks we used last week for our time unit.
Mr. Gingerbread was approximately 8 mini-Judy clocks tall, for your information.

My only regret is that Mr. Gingerbread Man would have been infinitely cuter, had my school NOT been out of brown bulletin board paper. (sigh)

You can downlaod your copy of Gingerbread Measurement by clicking the link below.



Have a wonderful Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGN BY: THE CUTEST BLOG ON THE BLOCK