Thursday, December 13, 2012

12 Days of Freebies

Good afternoon, sweet friends!!

We are almost through the second to last week before the holidays...phew! Let me tell you...this girl is ready for some rest! Things have been pretty non-stop in my classroom lately, so I know I will definitely enjoy a little (and I mean very little) vacation....thanks Hurricane Issac :(

Our class celebrated the holidays a little early with a small party hosted by our local Kids Hope organization. The kids LOVED the party, and it was all for a great cause. One of the activities at the party was creating cards for young children in Haiti still recovering from the earthquake. Teaching my students that this season is about giving not receiving has been a real challenge, so the party definitely came at just the right time! It was so cute to see the super sweet messages my students came up with for their cards. 
Here is one of my favorites.

In other news, we have been reading some of my favorite holiday stories these past few weeks. Most recently, we read The Snow Globe Family by Jane O'Conner .  Have you read it before? If not, you definitely should!
Of course, after reading, we did a little writing activity to practice making text-to-self connections. We talked about how the snow globe family had been waiting and wishing for something exciting to happen in their lives, and then brainstormed ideas about what exciting things we have been waiting and wishing to happen in our own lives. Naturally, we  followed it up with a cute craftivity!



The kids did a WONDERFUL job connecting their lives to the book. One of my most popular responses was "I am like the snow globe family because I have been waiting and wishing to lose my first tooth!"
I have a feeling many of those wishes just might come true this year!

You can download my second holiday freebie using the link below :)
To make the craft I simply pre-cut the circles and attached contact paper to the back. Then, I had the kids draw pictures of their wishes and place them on the contact paper facing out. This just might be my favorite craftivity to date!
Hope you enjoy!
Check back soon for more of the Twelve Days of Freebies!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGN BY: THE CUTEST BLOG ON THE BLOCK