Monday, October 14, 2013

Halloween in full gear!

Hello again, friends! I hope you're Monday has treated you well. If today was in indication of what the rest of the week will be like, then I am in for some trouble. If you're like me then you had school today despite the fact that it is Columbus Day. It wasn't all bad;  however, because it was the perfect teaching moment for our U.S. Symbols and Heroes unit. Luckily, I found this precious packet from Tangled Up in Teaching.




It gave me all the tools necessary to properly celebrate the holiday with my kiddos! They adored making their Christopher Columbus hats, and their "Stick Stories". Too fun!

In other news, we have just started our new math unit which focuses HEAVILY on making "friendly 10s" to add. Luckily, all I had to do was whip out my Spiders Sums activity and we were good to go! I also prepared a little Candy Corn Addition activity to get us used to making 10. For the activity, I provided each student with a recording sheet and an 10s frame mat with two 10s frames each. The students would then read the addition problem (ex. 9+4) and would place 9 regular candy corn on the first frame and 4 candy corn on the second. This was the perfect lead-in to a discussion on strategies we could use to compose 10. It was so awesome to hear them explain how we could take 1 away from the 4 and move it to the group of 9 to complete the 10s frame. 
Proud teacher, right here!


Once they figured out how to make 10 on the 10s frames, we recorded the two problems on the recording sheet. We wrote the answer using the original problem and the making 10s way. If you'd like to snag a copy of this easy activity, you can click the link below!  



And, last but not least, my October unit is FINALLY posted! I have worked my tush off trying to finish up this latest unit. In fact, the whole reason it hasn't been posted until now is that I was too busy printing and laminating the activities so I could use them in my own classroom. 
Why can't there be a couple more hours in a day!? 

The unit is filled with 16 math and literacy activities that are bat, owl, and spider themed. Each activity is correlated to a Common Core Standard, and the standard addressed is displayed on each recording sheet. In addition, I have created 2 versions of several of the activities to suit the needs of the many different learners in my classroom {and hopefully yours, too}! If you'd like to take a closer look at this packet, you can click on the picture below. Let me know if you have any questions! 

I've also posted some October themed "cut, glue, and solve" word problems in my little shop. I'll be sharing a post later this week to give you more details on those!

 

To celebrate this new product and my October Word Problems unit, both items are going to be 20% off for the next 2 nights!

Have a wonderful night, teachers, and a very happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGN BY: THE CUTEST BLOG ON THE BLOCK